I’m a London-based digital communications professional with more than 10 years experience in writing, editing and managing websites for media publications, national charities and NGOs.
I’ve worked for The Big Issue Foundation, St Mungo’s, the University of Birmingham and the Royal Mencap Society, among many others.
I’m a digital generalist, or rather my specialism is generalism. I believe digital is too interconnected and fast paced to be siloed into having only one specialist area. You can’t create good digital products without analysis, and analysis alone will not enable you to reach your goal.
My focus areas are:
- Producing high quality written and rich media content to support online marketing for cross-discipline activities, including campaigning, awareness raising, reputation management, recruitment and fundraising
- Using SEO, Adwords and Google Analytics tools to make evidence-based decisions to support and optimise digital marketing activity, with the aim of creating measurably strong end products
- Writing and editing: I trained and worked as a print and online journalist at national and regional titles for five years prior to working in digital communications, and I’m able to sub edit, create and implement house style guidelines, and develop tone of voice documents. I am also trained in digital photography.
- Measuring digital success to increase the influence of digital activity within organisations by identifying meaningful metrics and conversions to create tailored reports for management and trustees to influence funding decisions, grow digital literacy and expand digital’s success within organisations.
Adobe Photoshop – Picture editing to support creation of strong digital media for web.
Adwords – Daily account management experience to support stakeholder aims; led a successful application to GrantsPro (October 2015) and have maintained status; analytics insights to support SEO work.
Content Management Systems – Proficient to advanced across several open source applications, including WordPress and agency builds. Currently working in Drupal 8 after a successful 2016 upgrade from 6 for Mencap website relaunch, to become one of the first charities in the UK to work in this version.
Digital photography – Self-taught photographer with several years experiencing photographing for events, case stories, print and digital publications. Current equipment: Canon Powershot G9X.
Google Analytics – Daily management of Google Analytics accounts; monthly reporting processing for stakeholders; introduction of meaningful metrics; Evidence-based decisions to improve user experience; raising digital literacy about GA among organisation’s digital champions through guides and workshops.
Project management – I have several years experience working on large scale digital projects, including website relaunches, content migrations, and national campaigns
SEO – Organisational lead for SEO and improving performance of key digital assets through best practice guidance, and raising digital literacy among site contributors through guides and workshops. Benchmarking of performance and implementation of Google Search Console findings.
Writing and editing – Trained writer with professional qualification (PG Dip in Magazine Journalism) and several years experience writing and editing for print and online publications and websites. Development of tone of voice and writing for web guides and workshops to upskill colleagues and improve contributions.
Visit my portfolio page to see specific examples of my work.
- British Heart Foundation (2017 – present)
- Royal Mencap Society (2013-17)
- St Mungo’s (2012-13)
- University of Birmingham (2011)
- The Big Issue Foundation (2008-10)
- Haymarket Publishing (2006-08)
Visit my LinkedIn profile for a full career history. CV available on request.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Magazine Journalism (Cardiff University, 2005)
- 2.1 BA (Hons) English Literature (Swansea University, 2003)
- 3 A Levels (Northampton College, Daventry, 1999)
Portrait photo credit: Richard Bailey